Reply To: JNB

Back to Forum

SenatorGold
Participant

The immigration control for passengers transferring between international flights at OR Tambo International may also be for security reasons so that intelligence services are aware of who is passing through Johannesburg.

My experience of immigration at international transfers is that it be woefully understaffed which can mean transfers at ORT can be very tight. Two weeks ago I had an 1hour 45minute connection between the Lufthansa flight from Frankfurt and SA Airlink flight to Maseru. With having to go international immigration (even with a South African passport), transfer security and then a long walk from one of the terminal to the other, there was no time to spare. I made the flight, but my luggage didn’t. The alternative would have been to spend most of the day at ORT until the next flight at 2pm or thereabouts.

Yes, the SLOW lounge is great. However, having experienced the SAA Baobab lounge last Friday night awaiting the LH flight, I could only look longingly over into the BA First lounge. I was fortunate to arrive early in the afternoon and find a seat. By 6.15pm the lounge was completely full.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls