Reply To: VS offering Status match

Back to Forum

AlanOrton1
Participant

Good to see some discussion on Virgin as I’ve always found it a little strange they get such little air time on the forum.

When I first looked at moving my travel from UA / Star Alliance, I did try Virgin for a while, as they serve the majority of the routes I fly to in Asia and the US.

However, after a while I wasn’t convinced they were a better option than BA. Nothing wrong with them per se, but one of the main considerations I had was flight schedules. HKG for example OW carriers BA & CX have 6 to 7 flights a day versus Virgin’s 1. The same with MIA, with OW (BA & AA) offering 4 to 5 versus Virgin’s 1 to 2. Also Virgin can chop and change their routes, for example ORD comes and goes.

No doubt their LHR lounge is good. I would say you can order food off the menu at the BA & CX OW Emerald lounge in LHR and HKG & LHR respectively. From memory I think QR at LHR T4 offer this as well.

I prefer to keep my J seat just above the horizontal when sleeping and as Martyn mentions, the VS seat isn’t so good at this.

While BA are guilty of this as well, for several years Virgin had two versions of their Premium Economy seat, and several different inflight entertainment systems in PE & Y.

Service wise, and this may just be me, but I found their announcements to be rather too many, and a bit OTT with lots of congratulating themselves at the end of the flight for the wonderful job they’d done.

Pricing, I’d agree with Defcon5. They often have better fares ex LHR going to the US. Conversely I find OW fares better going east.

I don’t think I’ll take up their offer, though it is tempting and fair play to them in looking to take advantage of BA’s recent woes.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls