Reply To: Deutsche Bahn postpones its London plans yet again

Back to Forum

MartynSinclair
Participant

The other piece of the jigsaw puzzle previously discussed is the pricing. Until the train companies in the UK and Europe can integrate whatever software needs to be integrated in order to get sensible pricing, I cant see the train into Europe being viable. Flying may be a hassle but it remains very cost effective. I would love to go from my local Thames Link station all the way to Frankfurt Hbf, but not for £500+.

I have spoken to a client who works for one of the large travel software companies and is involved in a start up which will create a “Kayak style” third party website. The objective is to link together multiple transport systems across Europe (like LH and DB have created) to create a smooth, cost effective and fast alternative travel options.

Airports with train stations, AMS/FRA/DUS/ZUR (+many more) could be used as hubs onto the train system, but with passengers having connecting tickets. Imagine needing to go to a city centre and it is quicker to be routed through a different city airport which has fast train connections.

This to me is where DB (and passengers) could benefit – but until the pricing can be managed, for me the vision of taking the train deep into Europe (from the UK) is nothing more than a vision. Taking the train within mainland Europe shows what could be achieved…

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls