Reply To: British Airways Global System Outage

Back to Forum

Uranium235
Participant

I finally have the time to post my experience and request a few suggestions from the learned folks on this forum.

Firstly, the executive summary: I was travelling from LAS to GVA in Business Class via LHR but was obviously stranded in the latter. Writing off the possibility of getting a flight on BA, I managed to secure a seat on another airline two days later.

Experience:
The first clue that something was amiss was the crowd of people in the lounge watching BBC (not BA) informing us of the cancellations. Eventually, a PA announcement informed people to head to a gate where they will be processed (does this mean re-booking or simply to leave the airport?). There were a few BA people running around informing people of what they should do – both verbally but also with paperwork explaining the situation and compensation entitlement but generally speaking, people were not sure what to do depending on their situation (i.e. should I stay and re-book or simply to leave the airport?). Over the course of 3 hours of queuing in the airport, I heard 3-4 PA announcements: not good enough. I would have preferred PA-Spam!

Anyway, I have some questions:
– Will I only receive the official EU compensation of EUR 250? Or will I receive the full compensation as itemised in my claim? The latter includes two nights of accommodation and meals which is almost double the EU allowance.
– BA have already agreed to refund my LHR – GVA portion (didn’t tell me how much) but will they pay for my flight on the other airline?
– Will my Silver membership be extended two years from now? Or when my current membership ends (i.e. nearly one year from now)?

Thanks all

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls