Reply To: First time with Ryanair – Will be the last

Back to Forum

FDOS_UK
Participant

“On what authority do you intervene? You are a passenger, not a crew member – this type of action can create conflict and is just as bad as the people who talk, IMO.”
I think that’s rather highhanded of you, I don’t think anyone needs third party ‘authority’ to ask people not to behave in a manner which might put others in danger. I don’t get up and yell at them, but if they are near enough to prevent me from hearing the announcement, I ask them to be quiet so that I can hear the safety briefing, even if I know them off by heart, others don’t. I’m sorry if you have an opposing view on that.

“If the crew are on the ball, all talking should be stopped and Ryanair are on the ball.”
Yes, but most other airlines aren’t, although it does seem to vary with the crew. I was on an EZY flight the other day and the cabin manager gave two women a full on bollocking over the PA – without being rude or aggressive, but put them in their place, and then went and had a word with them afterwards.

Not meaning to be high handed, it’s just that firstly asking people to stop talking does add to the interruption and I’ve also seen it result in ongoing conflict afterwards.

If you wish to make your point that the crew weren’t active enough, you could call the crew over and say that you couldn’t hear the briefing because of people overtalking – they then have to give you a personal briefing (which is very fast and won’t delay the flight, but makes the point).

I’ve only done it twice, both times when deadheading uniformed airline personnel were talking loudly over the briefing and I thought that some pushback was justified.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls