Reply To: First time with Ryanair – Will be the last

Back to Forum

AlanOrton1
Participant

I flew Ryanair twice over the past week. (STN-VLC & ALC-STN). My observations:

Flying with MrsO and checking in online (had not prepaid for any extras) 2 days before the outbound and the full 5 days before the return, we were allocated seats 16 rows apart on the outbound and 9 rows apart on the inbound.
This was the first time I have had the experience of this happening on any LoCo flight. (We fly around 10 sectors a year on a combination of Easyjet, Norwegian and Ryanair).
After my irritation dissipated I looked at the option to be seated next to each other and there was plenty of availability.
It looks to be nothing more than a blatant attempt to allocate 2 pax travelling together in different parts of the plane, in order to then encourage them to pay extra to pick seats next to each other.
This we did, and bizarrely for the exact same seat the price on the inbound was more than the outbound.

The plane on the return leg was filthy, worse than I’ve ever seen on BA, who I generally find to have poor standards of cleanliness.

The fare was not cheap – close to £200 per person return. To be fair we had to fly on the dates we did and ideally from STN or LTN on this occasion, though we did book at least 2 months prior.

The plane on the way back had their latest seats, and boy are they uncomfortable. The original ones certainly seem to have a little more cushioning.

The crew were fine, though clearly look to be incentivised to sell. Incessant announcements about scratch cards, tax free shopping and even a drinks run 20 mins before landing, after the seat belt sign was on!

Not a positive experience, however, they did get us to where we needed to go on time, thus we benefited from the splendid Ryanair jingle…

Still, they do serve a good cup of coffee, unlike EZY.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls