Reply To: BA, Club World v First (and is First really needed?)

Back to Forum

EruditeSheep
Participant

Like many others, I predict F class will be gradually phased out over time. Continental was amongst the first to offer a “Business-First” product many years ago, which even included chauffeur service to/from the airport. Similarly Virgin. Over the years, I have experienced many different levels of service, including a one-off taste of the “VIP pod” that the RAF sometimes used on its VC10 service between BZN and IAD, normally reserved for Government Ministers. I agree that there will always be some demand for F class from various VIPs, celebrities etc, but I’m sure that the majority of flyers in the business community would welcome additional J class seating, especially if that could be accompanied by a reduction in the fare. I have always found BA’s F class somewhat underwhelming – indeed in my most recent taste of the service, the seat area in the A380 hadn’t even been cleaned properly (used ear plugs left in plain sight) and some courses of the “tasting menu” were almost inedible. A long way short of other airlines offerings in J class – notably CX, SQ, QR, LH. In the US, the F class seating on AA’s transcontinental A321 service is exemplary, but in many ways the J class product (and service) is almost just as good. If the evolution of BA’s J class seating design follows that of other long-haul airlines, I can certainly see the demise of F class, with 3-class (CW, PE, WT) aircraft becoming more common-place.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls