Reply To: First time with Ryanair – Will be the last

Back to Forum

FDOS_UK
Participant

That sounds like my first and last experience on Ryanair, which was about 15 years ago, STN-GRO. I only did it because the route and times were ideal for me. It cost me about £10 and they got me there on time, that’s the only positive I can say. I’ve never flown them since and hopefully never will, but I have heard from numerous sources that they are now much better, so your experience comes as a surprise to me.

My seat was so filthy that I sat on my newspaper rather than let my clothes touch the seat, it was engrained with filth and muck and God knows what. The crew were tired, scruffy, irritable, and rude. The announcements from the cabin and cockpit were totally incomprehensible, not recognisable as English or Spanish, or Catalan. It sounded like a Korean with a speech impediment trying to speak Azeri with his head up his backside. On the other hand they were quite able to enunciate when they came round selling scratch cards!

The airline has changed substantially in those 15 years – back in 2002, they still had some really old and tatty 737-200s. The whole fleet is 738 now.

It’s still a low grade (basic) offer, but the aircraft are usually clean (though some show the effects of heavy use) and the crew are invariably pleasant and sometimes quite chatty, in my experience – maybe it’s the way one talks to them that elicits the response?

One thing I would compliment Ryanair on is that they do not tolerate anyone talking throught the safety brief and will respond firmly – I wish more airlines would act this way.

Can’t say Ryanair are #1 on my list, but I wouldn’t hesitate to use them if it suits, though not over 4 hours, as the seats don’t recline (which I find a good thing on shorter routes).

Edit, the crew tend to be smart these days, the nasty light blue uniforms have gone, to be replaced with this

http://smartcabincrew.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/ryanair-uniform.jpg

The new aircraft interior looks like this

https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1502/25045946903_33170e6178_b.jpg

The yellow has gone from the overhead area – shame it is still on the seats!

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls