Reply To: Ryanair installing Wi-Fi onboard?

Back to Forum

capetonianm
Participant

I’ve answered your very good survey as best I can, since it’s something of which I have little knowledge and not much interest. I welcome the opportunity of a flight to catch up on other things such as reading, newspapers, relaxing, or just looking out of the window specially if it’s a day flight.

I can however concede that for longer flights (>5 hours) internet access might be useful, and I have answered accordingly.

I am also a little mystified over the GSM aspect, although the Iberia video implies that it’s a third party roaming service such has provided on ships at sea, perhaps you could clarify that. I do know that cellphones left switched on during a flight will often pick up ‘welcome to ….’ texts from overflown countries, but I didn’t think that there was sufficient signal strength and stability for conversation, and I’m quite pleased about that. I can think of nothing worse than sitting next to some idiot bellowing into his phone for hours on end :

“Hello, it’s me ……. yes, it’s Jim, hello, can you hear me …….. hello, can you hear me. The signal’s breaking up. Hello …… yes I’m still here ……… well actually I’m on a flight to Dubai …….. can you hear me … no, Dubai, not Mumbai. Look, basically at the end of the day I wanted to review that document about our strategic position, you know ……. can you hear me ……. oh crap I’m losing you …….” etc.

NO THANKS! (But good luck with your project.)

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls