Reply To: British Airways failure – compensation

Back to Forum

capetonianm
Participant

I have visited the data centres of several of the world’s major airlines and GDSs and one feature that was always impressed upon me was the enormous redundancy that exists in case of failures of either networks or power and even in the case of physical destruction of the facility.

I am not technically minded but in the last few days I have read, and understood, a number of clear explanations of how UPSs and backup power supplies work and it seems inconceivable to me, or at least it did until a few days ago, that such a failure could happen. If this is the case, it points to monstrous incompetency on the part of whatever entity oversaw the installation.

It might just be a case of so many holes in the cheese eventually lining up, an explanation I’d be inclined to accept in a third world country such as India where power supplies can be erratic, but in the UK, a few miles from one of the world’s major airports, no.

As a matter of interest, were any other businesses in this area affected or was it purely within the BA data centre?

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls