Reply To: British Airways failure – compensation

Back to Forum

FDOS_UK
Participant

Just read this article in the Standard

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/british-airways-bank-holiday-meltdown-was-caused-by-uncontrollable-return-of-power-after-outage-a3553876.html

The headline appears to be a typo, so substitute uncontrollable with uncontrolled, as the body of the article makes clear.

I do not understand

“There was a loss of power to the UK data centre which was compounded by the uncontrolled return of power which caused a power surge taking out our IT systems. So we know what happened we just need to find out why.

“It was not an IT failure and had nothing to do with outsourcing of IT, it was an electrical power supply which was interrupted.

Power supply in a data centre is via UPS (uninterruptable power supply) units, which I would regard as being very much part of an IT setup – after all IT is short for Information Techonology.

UPS units not only provide power for long enough for generators to start and stablilise or to be shutdown in an orderly fashion, but also ‘clean’ the utility power of spikes and surges. I don’t understand how the servers were physically damaged, if the UPS units did their job as designed.

Doesn’t make sense, to me – capetonianm, any thoughts from you? (or anyone else?).

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls