Reply To: UBER to leave London ?

Back to Forum

FDOS_UK
Participant

I understand that the TFL licence for UBER to operate in London which expired yesterday has only been renewed for four months not the five years UBER were seeking. This is seems has been a result of intensive lobbying by the Licenced Taxi Drivers Association which represents black cabs. As a user of UBER all over the world I am amazed that London is taking this backward step.

Are you aware of the recent court case between Uber and TfL?

Although I don’t know the facts behind the decision to renew for only four months, it would not surprise me if TfL wish to be able to review progress in English testing before renewing for longer.

By the way, Uber can look like a way of using the ‘gig’ economy to avoid paying social costs. I have no truk for Black Cab drivers, but I believe that opposition comes from a rather broader audience.

The Work and Pensions Committee recently had something to say about Uber (as well as others).

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/apr/06/uber-contract-gibberish-says-mp-investigating-gig-economy

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls