Reply To: London to Bern via ??Create Topic

Home Forums Airlines Swiss London to Bern via ?? Reply To: London to Bern via ??

prosborn
Participant

I have read all the replies and the OP, up to 5 mins ago. Skywork is a superb wee airline, seems to have settled down now after a mismatch of ambition/market/equipment. Rather sturdy.
The LCY route (Southend was a temporary error) is cool, and the BSL drop-in call is soon dealt with. You can do some smart hubbing via BRN on Skywork, specially NW Europe to West Med and ex-Yugslv.

If the LCY-BRN times don’t fit your schedule, do LON-BSL-train first. Train is 55 mins. From ZRH train is 1:20, from GVA 1:50++. ZRH and GVA -Bern Hbf are common-rated by CFF/SBB, (ca CHF 48.50 in 1) bcs same distance, but the ZRH route is quicker bcs HSL from Olten to Wankdorf, just outside Bern. The dining car upstairs on either the GVA or ZRH run are nicer than on the Basel seg. Stretch the main course and you can sit the entire ZRH-BHbf up there on a 2cl billet. The Geneva-BHbf, pushing it, might require a nice big fat round coin to ease things along.

BRN airport is a delight. Just metres from door to plane, like a village airport (Stansted in 1960s, Loja Ecuador …). The see-through stairs to the lounge are the only moan.

I used to commute AMS-BRN, before the Skywork AMS route, and had door to door (I live a few klix from SPL, in Uithoorn) and was heading to southern Bern, near that North Korean then-crown prince’s school)), down to under 4 hours, including the Basel bus 50 from BSL to Bahnhof. Ah, the days of the LX AMS-BSL flight, when Florence would make up a bed for me on Row 2, while Joe Cocker (a BSL-ite) and Frans Timmerman (a scoundrel and now EU-Veep) looked on most peeved … To be VIPped at BSL by LX, heaven. All gone now.

Bern is the ultimate in the wacky side of the Swiss. Dining reccs available via PM.
Enjoy!

Paul