Reply To: Where BA First class has gone?

Back to Forum

Gold-2K
Participant

I like the first cabin on the A380 and the 787/9 (despite the very narrow aisles on the latter) but reality I travel in first as I’m really turned off by the 17 year old club class seat. On a recent BKK trip where there is no First I was reminded just how short of space you are in club world. I had a window seat. They gent next to me was “a person of size” and every time he moved and banged against the seat partition I thought we’d hit bad turbulance. Add to that the tiny screen and impersonal service and that’s why I travel in First. It’s pretty awful for BA when the main reason people travel First is because CW sucks so much.

But the penny pinching in First has not gone un-noticed. Amuse bouche disappeared (though to be fair it typically wouldn’t have “amused” my pet labroadors “bouche”), no hot towels on the last 3 trips (or lukewarm threadbare rags to be more accurate), no more tasting menu on the A380, and on my most recent trip from LAX, the pre take off drink was the club class champagne served in a tiny glass off a blue plastic tray. Clearly wasn’t a vintage champagne which I challenged and was told “we haven’t opened the good stuff yet” …….. classy!!!!

Menu was the standard Steak or Sea Bass. Regular First travellers will know the fish is nearly always Sea Bass. I’m guessing Messrs Walsh and Cruz have shares in the largest Sea bass farm in Europe ?.

On a recent trip I ordered a pasta which came with a side of roasted veg. It was presented to me with the comment “this is a weird combination, hope it tastes better than it looks”. And this was from a legacy crew member who I assume was experienced. In case you are wondering, it did taste fine but must have cost around £1.50 so hardly fine a la carte dining in the “restaurant in the sky”.

The last stroke of cost-cutting genius are the chocolates offered with coffee. I don’t have the biggest hands in the world but these eye catching hand made chocs are absolutely impossible to actually get out of the box. I’m convinced Alex Cruz has personally glued each one to the bottom of the box so you can’t get them out so they only need to refresh the box once every 3 months. Michael O’Leary would be proud of such cost saving creativity.

Overall feeeling is the almost contempt the BA management have for their premium passengers.

The only positive is the First seat is comfortable and while maybe not the biggest, it usually gives me a good nights sleep so I don’t have to lie awake wondering why Mr Cruz attributes so little value to my continued (and now seemingly misplaced) loyalty.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls