Reply To: Laptop and iPad ban

Back to Forum

MartynSinclair
Participant

Whilst the on-board lap ban from 10 airports is unlikely to affect me, it is refreshing to read how some airlines (probably worried about the economic effects) are trying to provide solutions for their passengers.

http://news.sky.com/story/turkish-airlines-finds-a-way-to-work-around-electronics-ban-10812957

We have so far heard from 2 airlines with their solutions to this problem, I wonder how the affected British carriers will react and whether they will do more than send passengers back to check in staff if they find a forbidden item at the boarding gate.

Turning to a recent mass postings by a newbie, (welcome)… there is one comment that did create thought… “have to leave it at home then” (17.55 on the 23 March 17), referring to a laptop……

What I am wondering is – exactly what would it take for me not to travel with a lap top???

Lap tops are very personal, we all like to use what we feel is best for us…a bit like choosing Apple, Android or Blackberry..

But what would it take for me to travel without my fully loaded (with relevant programmes and documents) lap top?

I would need two things….

1. a cloud server (document storage) that was not based in the USA (where the Government as the right to access all cloud storage reserves…) that was fast where ever I was in the world

2. access to computer hardware within easy reach… hotel rooms, airports and perhaps aeroplanes.. taxis etc, so I could access my documents and programmes

I would love to travel without lap top and the plethora of wires and cables – but I could only do so, when I had confidence I could access my files easily , efficiently from where ever I am.

I feel sure this will eventually happen, but for the moment, it hasn’t and I therefore need to continue to travel with my “IT suite of computers phones, back ups and cables”

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls