Reply To: Cathay Pacific over view of the past few years

Back to Forum

IanFromHKG
Participant

CX just announced a large loss last year,only the third in history. Not keeping up, should reduce loss making routes and except A350 have old aircraft and awhile before the 777x arrives. Didn’t invest in A380, ideal for their major routes and an aircraft all their competitors have. The cheapest seat/mile costs available and could have replaced their last few 747s. Similar story to QF not buying 777s a few years ago. Trust they don’t reduce service on board any more!

See above regarding the A380.

The most recent information I could find on CX’s average fleet age is from August 2014 when CX said their average age was 8.5 years. Since then, all their B747s have been retired, and I believe the last of the A340s are due to be retired this month. CX has also, in the meantime, taken delivery of many brand-new planes – B777s and A350s. I can’t find an up-to-date average age but given that the B747s and A340s were quite old I suspect the average age has dropped dramatically.

I flew the A350 last month in J. I didn’t see any signs of wear but maybe I was lucky. And I must confess I haven’t flown any of the ME airlines. But it would take something truly superb to beat the experience I had on board.

This must be put into context as I am not (well, not any more!) a CX apologist and am on the verge of abandoning my longstanding Diamond membership, partly because of the failure to provide unpublished benefits such as upgrades (see earlier post). But I have to say the experience on board is still, to my mind, superb. YMMV

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls