Reply To: Laptop and iPad banCreate Topic

Home Forums Air Travel Security Laptop and iPad ban Reply To: Laptop and iPad ban

FDOS_UK
Participant

I can’t see people giving up their laptops just yet but if it were to become more widespread do we need to think differently? Surely there are services that business people can take advantage of to avoid keeping all their data on one laptop?

Highly encrypted cloud storage systems, internet browser enabled word processing software, etc. It clearly wouldn’t be ideal but are too many people seeing their laptops as impregnable silos of information? With everything kept ‘off’ the laptop, it wouldn’t be too much of a problem to chuck the ’empty’ laptop in a suitcase.

Yes, yes – data protection, security policies, etc, etc. I’m kinda aware of some of the arguments but perhaps it’s worth a thought?

Everything kept off the laptop? That doesn’t sound realistic for me.

Some governments will not allow storage of any information on the cloud, then you have the EU dta protection laws to consider – just where is your cloud data being stored? Did you just inadvertently transmit sensitive data outside the EU, illegally?

Of course, YMMV.