Reply To: Comparing SQ with BA in the back of the bus!

Back to Forum

rferguson
Participant

I guess there are few people surprised that BA come out as the loser in a SQ vc BA scenario (in any class). If the example was done two years ago, five years ago, ten years ago I doubt the result would have been much different. Actually it would have perhaps been even more stark as you would likely be comparing a BA flight on an old 747 with an SQ 380.

I’m not sure how profitable SIN is for BA but having made the ill fated mistake of attempting staff travel there once or twice it is an absolutely choc full route pretty much year round. Obviously a full plane doesn’t mean a profitable plane but BA are not known anymore for maintaining routes that don’t pay.

The result of this comparison could be replicated on pretty much any route BA flies – BA vs CX, BA vs TG, BA vs EK, even BA vs AA probably. But I guess BA have found the place where it wants to position its economy product – the mediocre level. Perhaps even the lower end of the mediocre level. Until the ‘sweet spot’ of finding the amount people will pay versus what they are prepared to accept for it tips, this kind of scenario will stay the same.

Jonathon – the crew on the SIN BA011 are the ‘legacy’ crew. They are definitely not overworked or underpaid.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls