Reply To: BA squeezing two more rows into short-haul aircraft.

Back to Forum

AlanOrton1
Participant

Hi Jonathan – to try and answer your question:

I fly BA short haul rarely and then only if they are similar in cost to EZY, Ryanair and Norwegian, who fly the same route. They tend to be the best priced option around 30-35% of the time.

I stick with BAEC, not necessarily BA, as they offer, IMHO, the best overall package for my business travel needs.

For example, I fly to MIA, FLL, TPA, ORD & NYC. BA are the only airline that fly these routes non-stop. There is the added benefit of additional non stop flights with AA on the majority of these, so convenience wise they cannot be beaten. More often than not they are competitive on price when (which I now do rarely) checked against DL / UA / VS.

When I travel to Asia I have not flown on BA metal in 5 years. I fly mainly with CX, then QR. The reason being they are better priced (and arguably better quality) than BA. To the extent where I don’t mind an indirect routing. I rate CX higher than QR as at least one of my legs is a non-stop, as opposed to changing in both directions.

I find the BAEC gold benefits better than Star Alliance at a similar level. (F lounges for example). Amex 2-4-1 is an added bonus.

I try not to complain (too much) about an airline as frankly I don’t see the point, as I can expend my energy far more productively elsewhere.
Could I fly at a lower cost by mixing and matching long haul carriers more – Yes.
Am I prepared to pay a little more and stick with one airline alliance (in general) for what I perceive to be added convenience – Yes.
I value convenience and minimising the time I’m away from my family highly.

Hope this helps a little!

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls