Reply To: To Fly, to ScroogeCreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines British Airways To Fly, to Scrooge Reply To: To Fly, to Scrooge

seasonedtraveller
Participant

I have no axe to grind with BA although I certainly do not appreciate their efforts to further cheapen their offerings. I choose to fly with them (and others of course) and have been in at over 5,000 TP’s per year even after the recent reduction in rates.

In the last 3 years, I’ve seen many changes to the BA offering, none of which are for the benefit of the customer.

A direct comparison below between 2 very recent flights to PVG with BA (LHR) & SAS (CPH) seated in ‘Business Class’

My most recent flight to Shanghai with SAS showed them truly investing in enhancing the customer experience – the polar opposite of BA.
My observations are below – fact only.

Boarding:
BA – Called Business & Gold cards only, to board first with silver called second.
SAS – Called Business only first and Star gold second.

Seating:
BA – 2x4x2 coffin style – window has to step over sleeping aisle pax
SAS – 1x2x1 – direct aisle access, massage seats, adjustable firmness settings

At seat welcome from senior crew:
BA – No
SAS – yes, quietly welcomed as a future Pandion (SAS equivalent to BA’s Guest list)

Jacket hang:
BA – had to ask
SAS – done

Hot towel service:
BA – they “forgot” to hand them out (this also happened twice recently on LHR to EWR service)
SAS – yes

Toilets:
BA – clean, but sink leaked onto the floor, empty vase, nothing else available
SAS – clean, stocked with razors, wet wipes, mouthwash, flower in vase

Hot Nut offering:
BA – no, a pack of small pretzels were offered
SAS – Yes

Food & Drink: (did not try wine)
BA – Beer from St Austell Brewery – crew member told me that Fullers will no longer supply at price BA now wants to pay – I cannot report this as fact since it came from the crew.
BA – Usual affair, average in my opinion, nothing new.
SAS – 2 beers from Danish micro, Mikeller – a very tasty IPA & a bottle conditioned Coffee Porter comissioned by, and brewed exclusively for, SAS.
SAS – personal opion only but, excellent high quality offering with a genuine attempt at restaurant quality food.

IFE:
BA – A good choice of films etc but the screen only folds out partly
SAS – Brand new IFE system – touch screen – choice of programmes not as good as BA

Galley area (self serve):
BA – getting worse each time I fly in terms of what’s available and for how long – no coffee machine
SAS – Fully stocked, self serve ground coffee machine, generously re-stocked

Table at seat:
BA – unable to hold a laptop. Table slopes steeply towards the window
SAS – very sturdy, working is easy

Crew:
BA – seemed to dissappear after the meal service….
SAS – attentive & visible throughout

Disembarking:
BA – Are very good at this as they always ensure CW pax get off first – very helpful when there is a long line at security & immigration.
SAS – Arrival at CPH was poor as those seated in Economy simply rushed forward & off the aircraft without crew doing anything to stop it. Consequently, when I arrived at CPH security, the line was already very busy (there were probably 70 people in front of me from our flight) – my connection time to LHR suddenly became very short indeed.

ST