Reply To: To Fly, to ScroogeCreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines British Airways To Fly, to Scrooge Reply To: To Fly, to Scrooge

MrMichael
Participant

Canucklad, you make a good argument (as always), but the issue surely is one of supply and demand. From a point of view of yield management BA would have priced tickets to HK around that tournament to ensure maximum yield. They will have X number of seats to sell and will keep a close eye on booking for those dates to ensure they get a good loading in all cabins. If they see the seats selling quicker than normal (or even more searches) then the price will go up, if they see less sales the prices will ease. All airlines will do the same, the point is the most attractive routes (ie non stop) will attract the biggest fluctuations. Dynamic prices works to the consumer advantage and disadvantage, in your case at the moment it is your disadvantage. If you choose to book or not book BA is a punt, in 3 months BA could be cheaper than the opposition you quote. I often read on here that BA is the most expensive almost all the time, it is not my experience and I doubt in the main if there is any truth in it, perceptions once in the mind are often reinforced by seeing it again even if the reality is different.

Icenspice, you say BA is risk averse, but on this forum all I seem to see is BA taking one last risk after another. My recollection is BA is ruined by having only one starter in J, no amuse Bouche in F, only half a mars bar in econ, no cheese, crappy seats, lounge rubbish, tier points reduced, coffin like j seats, too many seats in F, disinterested crew, IT not working, paying for seat selection, not saying hello to Golds, fuzzy screens, T5, second hand A320,s, allowing kids in the lounge, not allowing kids in the lounge, getting rid of inbound newspapers, too expensive, no baggage fares….I could go on 🙂

Regarding corporate pay, I have some sympathy with that view. Willie Walsh is a well respected figure in aviation, has taken the bull by the horns. He has taken on the unions and won, taken over IB and turned it around (almost) and has seen consistent growth even in the face of the LCC,s. The likes of Air France/Lufthansa would probably love to have WW at the helm, and thus IAG has to pay to keep him, supply and demand. So while I do think his pay is ridiculous, I can see why they make it attractive for him to stay at BA. Regarding Cruz being a puppet, yep, reminds me of the Putin/Medelev presidential arrangement in Russia……Willie will be back…..or did he ever go!