Reply To: I constantly lie to get airplane upgrades. Is that unethical?

Back to Forum

canucklad
Participant

Getting back to the original question, lying to gain an advantage over a corporation, who more than likely doesn’t give a damn about you…….

Never lied, but I’ve stretched the truth, not to get an upgrade but a decent seat. Ultimately KLM recognised my Flying Dutchman status and moved me into business!

The moral dilemma used to be……. Is it right for me to use my own experience and knowledge of travelling to “play the game” thus enhancing my travelling enjoyment at the expense of my fellow passengers who aren’t as savvy? .

Nowadays, those same corporations have pretty much removed ownership and authority to make decisions from front line staff, abdicating responsibility to an Algorithmic flow based on all the personal data that companies use to profile us.
So IMO, the article is pretty much outdated !

I still use my charm, and am always polite, engaging and show an interest in the person serving me, just on the off chance that they reward me for being pleasant. ….Oh, and by the way it sometimes still works

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls