Reply To: I constantly lie to get airplane upgrades. Is that unethical?

Back to Forum

FDOS_UK
Participant

I was taught, “two wrongs do not equal a right”.

I use ex Europe fares and hope I am too ill to use the final leg. It is wrong, it is against the airlines T&C’s, and I do not try and defend it. If I do get caught, I will have to accept the consequences and try not to koan about it (too much!).

I was taught ‘do unto others as you would wish them to do to you’.

So I always treat other parties in an honest and open way, until such time as they make it obvious that they are going to behave in bad way, such as by refusing to pay refunds due etc. and then I feel released from the golden rule and able to treat them as they actually treat me.

Being moral is all well and good with other reasonable parties, but there comes a time when they do not deserve it.

Having said that, I would not do anything illegal, even when it may be ethically acceptable.

As to your point about something being wrong because it is against the airline T&C’s, I think that is a very naive point, as it is by no means clear to me that that clause is reasonable or even enforceable – LP quotes a case in the Netherlands in the 1980s, the most recent case I’m aware of was in the German lower courts (thus not a legal precedent) and the airline lost. I would like to see BA take a case to the UK courts to see if the judge found the requirement to use all segments to be fair.

Magazine Subscription
BTUK September 2017
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls