Reply To: I constantly lie to get airplane upgrades. Is that unethical?

Back to Forum

MrMichael
Participant

I too know the difference FDOS as instigate prosecutions of those that commit fraud, it is I that must from time to decide if prosecution is in the public interest and then pass it on to the lawyers to agree an appropriate charge.

I agree FDOS, some airlines do try to shirk their responsibilities, but I am not persuaded it gives us the right to try and get our own back by our own sharp practices. I think what I do re ex Europe is clearly against the terms and conditions of use of that ticket, a civil matter (as Martyn alludes to I do have some mitigation, and if that fails I can look forward to meeting TravelWorld as he handles my appeal). Some interesting case law on the subject is a recent case in the Supreme Court, Mohamed v Morrisons, a precedent putting the fear of God to many employers

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2014-0087.html

That case Makes a corporate body reponsible for the actions of its employee even if that Employee acted wholly outside the remit given to the employee by the employer. So perhaps (I am not a lawyer) if you could show FDOS that an employee of an airline deliberately for financial gain To the employer) denied you money you were legally entitled you may well have a criminal case for fraud. If you have such a case go down to either your local nick and make a statement, or contact your local trading standards service who can bring a criminal prosecution on your behalf. What you need to prove however is they had the intent to permanently deprive you of money that was clearly yours. Their get out before that case would have been, “the employee was wrong/mistaken and acting outside their authority to make that decision.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls