Reply To: I constantly lie to get airplane upgrades. Is that unethical?

Back to Forum

Alex_F.
Participant

Laughed when I read this topic.

I’ve just stepped off a 10 hour flight with Turkish Airlines where I was upgraded from Economy to Business.

I could see from the seat map that the flight was heavily booked so at check in I very politely asked if I could be considered for an operational upgrade – should these be needed. I’m Star Gold but not a TK frequent flyer so figured I’d be down the list. At the gate, heard the beep and was shifted from 6A to 2A.

In my experience, if you ask politely and without any sense of entitlement, even check-in staff can have the power/responsibility to screen passengers for upgrades (also happened to me on Emirates where I hold no status). Lying or making up some dramatic story will unlikely cut it with airport staff who have seen it all before and probably worse.

There’s also the credibility issue. Do you really want to make up some ridiculous story in the hope someone MAY believe you, failing which you’ll look and feel like a royal tosser.

The honest, straight forward and polite approach usually yields better results, in my experience.

Magazine Subscription
BTUK September 2017
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls