Reply To: Raffles SingaporeCreate Topic

Home Forums Accommodation Hotels Raffles Singapore Reply To: Raffles Singapore

AllOverTheGaff
Participant

While the hotel may be lovely it has become a tourist trap and shopping centre and for that reason alone I’d no longer stay there.

You are indeed correct LP that the Long Bar is now on floor 1, this was done to keep the hotel, and its guests, private. If you try to access the hotel via the main entrance, as a non-resident, they will politely decline you access and direct you to the Long Bar, so the only “touristy” bit is the bar itself, hardly surprising given the world reputation of the Singapore Sling.

I’ve also stayed in Marina Bay Sands and loathed the whole experience, too big and soul-less and one of the few places in Asia I’ve not had great service – in almost all of their outlets.

I remain a huge fan of Raffles, next to the Negresco, my favourite hotel in the world.

Rgds.
AOTG.

PS Peanut shells is the tradition dating back to when the bar opened, to create more atmosphere and noise they / you chuck the shells on the floor of the bar, has been happening as long as the Long Bar has been there. I once sat at the bar and made a little pile beside my Sling only for a passing server to swipe them onto the floor.