Reply To: Product and Price v Loyalty

Back to Forum

AllOverTheGaff
Participant

I had been thinking of an equal and opposite thread, and asking the ABBA fans what it would take them to fly BA, not the ME3.

Good thread, thanks Jonathan for the review and the topic.

I did venture back to BA having been absent for a long time late last year and early this year. I posted my findings on here, but the main factor in choosing BA was price. I forget how much I got CW for, but it was significantly less than the others I searched at the time and the timings were good, I was going EDI – LHR – GIG. Sadly, I regretted my miserly decision within minutes of boarding as Club World, for me, should no longer be classified as a business class product, the service and the offering not even close to the standards I now expect, and not only from the ME3, but also from some of the transatlantic carriers.

I flew back in 1st, then did another 3 returns in 1st class as I sourced some terrific fares. The product was good, not great, but good. Running out of port, twice, not having 1st choice of meal – twice, a dirty seat on one leg and the scrummage of boarding didn’t endear me to the airline. However, I did enjoy the experience overall and if I could score the same fare level, around £3300.00 1st return, I’d use them again. I think at circa £3.5K they run into more serious opposition, particularly in my experience with LH and their sublime 1st class product aboard the 747-8.

I am not meaning this to be a BA bashing thread, but the other huge consideration for me in not flying with them is LHR, every time I am there I loathe the experience. I have no other option if using BA as I am always connecting via LHR from EDI, but with routes from Scotland now being excellent either directly around Europe, or direct to US or via UAE headed eastwards, I really have no particular need for BA other than London jaunts, and now I am more prone to EZY via LGW as it adds little to my overall journey time to central London and the fare is generally a lot less expensive.

Interesting to read how successful the Avios programme is for some of the posters on the forum, I have a reward flight coming up in business from Kuala Lumpur to Tokyo in J, the fare quoted was over £1000.00 (by a variety of carriers) when I looked at it, so I was mightily pleased to get the flight for twenty quid taxes or so, I think what would tempt me back to flying with them would be if I was to read that in real life (EG not BA marketing speak) availability of reward seats improved significantly, and / or, if they refresh their cabins with a proper J class seat.

Regards.
AOTG.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls