Reply To: Product and Price v LoyaltyCreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines British Airways Product and Price v Loyalty Reply To: Product and Price v Loyalty

1nfrequent
Participant

JonathanCohen09:
What would it take for you to decide not to fly BA to a destination that they have competition on or is the desire to accumulate tier points and avios the only thing that matters or do you really believe that the BA product is still superior to the competition?

I’m interested in this question because I’ve got a trip to Australia next year with my sister and there was a lot of discussion about who we would fly with. We’re both BAEC silver and she’s a member of Miles & More (no status) and we were both prepared to go ex-EU (I was happy to go from anywhere, my sister wanted to go from Switzerland). We both wanted to stay One World so we could get Tier Points and Avios (this trip will take me to Gold for the first time and my sister will retain silver) but we weren’t wedded to BA because we both know that it isn’t the best business product on the market. I’d hoped to get a good fare on Qatar as I’d heard good things but in the end at the time we booked, the best deal ended up being a mix of BA/Cathay, which I was excited by because it means I get to try another airline’s product.

The reason we stay One World is because the alliance pretty much works for all of the travelling that we want to do and the BAEC scheme is probably the best out there for me given my travel patterns.

JonathanCohen09:
Do any of you have any thoughts why BA did not take advantage of of the arrival of their A380’s, 787-800/900 and 777-300ER’s to update the F and CW cabins to bring them more in line with or get ahead of the competition. When it first came out CW was the product to catch up with so I am not sure why BA seems happ to let themselves fall behind?

Could it be that they do not need to update the product as their are still so many people who will fly with them despite their being better products out there. Even AA are now 4 abreast in J class and the other American carriers are offering direct aisle access. I never thought that any US carrier would have a better hard product than BA.

Wiser posters here will be able to answer this better than me, but my take is that BA doesn’t feel that it needs to do too much to its product to continue making a profit. I think it has made some tweaks, hasn’t it – it’s brought or is bringing the IFE up to date and there was some stuff with mood lighting (for whatever that’s worth).

Interesting questions though – good to see such a reasonable discussion here.