Reply To: Emirates crash lands at Dubai InternationalCreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines Emirates Emirates crash lands at Dubai International Reply To: Emirates crash lands at Dubai International

MartynSinclair

expanding on David’s safety briefing comments, other reasons why passengers don’t listen, is they are more using their mobiles or have head phones on.

I flew yesterday on a BA liveried aircraft / BA uniformed crew, flight operated by Eastern. The safety announcement, did mention headphones off and window shades open and the crew enforced this – well done.

So if there was to be a complete, all round safety briefing, what are the key points and how should they be conveyed. For me and in no particular order;

1. ensure seat belts are on
2. where the life vest is (and I always reach for it to make sure its there
3. Emergency exits and doors
4. cabin crew announce and enforce passengers remove earplugs put papers down
5. oxygen masks
6. the authority of the crew in terms of adhering to crew instructions
7. actions to be taken in in the event of an emergency
8. passengers warned not to reach for any luggage in the event of an emergency. (I would doubt this could be made a criminal offence, unless our American friends support this, which they will not!!)
8. floor area must be kept clear for take off and landing
9. warnings about not smoking and effects of alcohol
10. window shades should be open for take off and landing (can anyone confirm Emirates policy on this as I am sure open blinds would have assisted for situational awareness over closed blinds.

How best to convey these messages. I do think if the airlines had a generic format it would help and the presentation should cut all padding be professional and last no longer than 90 – 120 seconds.

As has often been said before, the briefing should be played on screens in the departure lounge / or key points displayed on large notices, such as earphones should be removed on boarding until after the safety announcement.