Reply To: Emirates crash lands at Dubai InternationalCreate Topic

Home Forums Airlines Emirates Emirates crash lands at Dubai International Reply To: Emirates crash lands at Dubai International

SimonS1
Participant

I like the idea of lockable bins, however given money & time and the inherent risks of adding more electronic devices to ageing aircraft, why not a simple key lock?. Cabin crew move down the aisle checking the bins anyway, take ten seconds to lock it too, then unlock them after reaching the gate, it would have the added bonus of keeping people in their seats until reaching the gate.

However, one floor in the plan is the floor! Many airlines now, BA and IB included, get people to put their hand luggage under the seat in front, I won’t, as it is required for my legs/feet and I refuse point blank. No way of locking that away.

Two other flaws.

Firstly it wouldn’t keep people in their seats, because for every person like you there is someone like me who only carries a small laptop bag and it goes under the seat so I can use the tablet. And in any case good luck if you seriously think people would remain seated anyway.

Secondly with the pounding lockers take, filled to excess, it won’t be long before a lock breaks and the same people are complaining that bags, flights etc are delayed. With 30 minute turns now part of the model no airline CEO with half a brain would take that risk.

The answer in my view is to limit the amount of baggage brought on. Some of the rollaboards are far too big and I doubt would fit in the gauges if airlines bothered to police it.