Reply To: Disruption at Amsterdam SchipholCreate Topic

Home Forums Air Travel Airports Disruption at Amsterdam Schiphol Reply To: Disruption at Amsterdam Schiphol

MarcusGB
Participant

I flew through into AMS Weds, out to Eastern Europe Thursday, and back Sunday from E. Europe connecting to LCY.

Yes the airport was exceptionally busy, many younger people and families travelling out on holiday, but this is normal at this time of year.
KLM check in areas were running smoothly, both self serve and at desks.
No queues at Immigration (electronic gates and all desks with Officers). 5 mins or less at the security rows with all open, using full body scanners for every lane.
My connection had a total of 90 minutes from landing, to take off, and my bag was through no problems.
I did stopover in Amsterdam on the way out, but again retrieval and check-in no problems.

Trains Schiphol / Amsterdam very busy, but 10 trains an hour at least ran smoothly and quickly. I actually only had 2 hrs from my hotel to take off, and no delays for travel, or at the airport. There was no visible change in terms of security travelling in by train, but then i would never as any World airport, depend on the roads, always congested and often delays around Schiphol. Trains are far easier, reliable and swift 15 minutes to the city and out around the country.
The Air France strike has lead to many using KLM in the last days, or re-booked to them. Flights everywhere were said to be full or overbooked on KLM.
However, the re-designed and expanded Schiphol was working very well, not forgetting that an extra floor has been put onto most terminal D-H, doubling capacity, and easier flow, both incoming and outgoing. Incoming security is a separate area now on a different floor, outside of Europe.
Flights were not delayed from KLM, though several BA flights on the days i went through were 1-2 hours late LHR and LCY, where as KLM flights were on time.

If all these aspects hit LHR it would be chaos and delays everywhere, but Amsterdam is running within its new capacity very well. It is a very busy time of year, so extra congestion is to be expected.