Reply To: Egyptair B737-800

Back to Forum

Ciprian Hirlea
Keymaster

Be aware that the seat numbering on seatplans.com for Egyptair planes is totally wrong. E.g On the 737-800 the first row in business class is row 8 not row 1 as stated on this site. Same also applies to other aircraft in the fleet.

The check-in process was ok with polite dutiful service and guidance as to which immigration line to use. Immigration at CAI always takes some time so you have to allow for that.

I went to the Egyptair Gienah Lounge as it was close to my gate and this was disappointing. The lounge is arrange in a strange way into separate segments with several seats being effectively in the corridor. The gate agent told me what time to leave for my flight, which was good, but failed to mention and provide the password for the wifi so once settled I had to pack up my things and go back and ask for it.

Security control is at the gate, which was changed last minute. Boarding started when an employee just walked down the middle of the seating area and said "business class" with no checks, of course a lot of people got up and went then to the aircraft.

Upon boarding I found an abandoned case in the seat next to mine, upon informing the crew a few minutes later it took 5 attempts for the young lady to understand my clear and simple native British English explanation that "this bag is not mine"!

Service on the flight was fine. Attentive and generally good but variable between staff members.

Food was pretty good, although a menu or at least an explanation over the PA system would have been good.

Seat is nice for sitting. Lots of room, and wide, although being small I was not able to to use the foot rest! But much better compared to the alternative on the route which is Lufthansa with the same seat as in economy (albeit with the middle seat free).

Entertainment was via individual TV but the choice of films was limited and the system was slow to respond to commands. But for a short flight it was OK.

It seems that all my Egyptair departures are late and this was no exception.

For a medium haul flight I would say that it is OK. Seat is good, lots of space, good to have entertainment, food pretty good, but of course don't forget that Egyptair is a dry airline.

Review courtesy of Seatplans.com. Original review by user dj_jay_smith can be found here

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls