Reply To: Is it just me or is Virgin Atlantic service slipping?Create Topic

Home Forums Airlines Virgin Atlantic Is it just me or is Virgin Atlantic service slipping? Reply To: Is it just me or is Virgin Atlantic service slipping?

TimFitzgeraldTC
Participant

On the DXB point – EK effectively have 8 services a day from London when you add the 3 from Gatwick (with EK15/16 likely to be an A380 in the next few months – another strong rumour!). Add that to the 8 daily regional flights they offer plus Royal Brunei, QANTAS and BA frequencies to DXB and you have a massively saturated market.

When checking availability for VS on this route they are almost always offering the cheapest fares for any class of travel, unless coinciding with an event taking place in DXB. Unlike EK who often sell higher margin fares and have the traffic coming through from other points to sustain these levels of services. VS on the other hand have no feed traffic, whereas AUH gives them much more potential through points already made.

Yes it is rumour about the route being dropped, and AUH is a rumour to replace it (it may be dropped and AUH may not replace it!), but there is a lot of logic to it.

Considering VA and VS work closely already with VS to Australia and then VA serving onwards Australian connections, it is not as though they are starting a relationship from scratch. If HKG-SYD and LHR-DXB are losing a lot of cash then it to me it does make sense to drop these and go LHR-AUH when your sister airline offers AUH-SYD.