Reply To: Is it just me or is Virgin Atlantic service slipping?Create Topic

Home Forums Airlines Virgin Atlantic Is it just me or is Virgin Atlantic service slipping? Reply To: Is it just me or is Virgin Atlantic service slipping?

sparkyflyer
Participant

Re LHR-DXB, there are many EK/QF flights, but as long as VS can attract its own niche I reckon it can hold its own. Their schedules seem well timed, especially with the daylight, mid morning return flight.

Re the Sydney aspect, well Virgin Atlantic and Australia are separate airlines, with different products, and as I understand it, does OK, including on the HK-SYD part. The trouble with that routing however is there is lots of demand for the LHR-HK flight, but some of that cannot be sold due to the SYD traffic.There used to be a LHR-HK standalone flight but this was removed around the start of the financial crisis.

90s Virgin were a truly superb and surely one of the best airlines in the world then. I flew with them to IAD, HK, JFK, ATH (!) and in the 00s many Caribbean destinations. There has been a decline of no doubt, and their cost cutting will not have helped the product or morale, but it is not all bad – a colleague of mine flew to EWR the other week on VS in Premium Economy, and had great flights! I recall however he preferred the 747 to the 330-300 by a mile, which is interesting.

Their herringbone seating I do not find attractive, and I think they should have gone to a more DL/LX style product.

I think joining Skyteam would be a huge help for VS, and make them far more attarctive to frequent flyers wanting miles and tier points.Think of all the extra destinations they could offer. I think VS joining Skyteam would be of concern to BA Mngt.

Guest_Poster: welcome to the forum and thank you for your insight. Stay with us!

Big Dog: Was your attack on VK earlier in this thread really necessary? The forum was having a reasonable discussion, and VK made a point about A340s taking seemingly ages to get to cruising attitude ( which I find as well), and your post was not in context of the discussion, personal, and in this case unnecessary.

We all know you do not “like” him, but do you really need to go for him so often? We know he is very favourable to BA and opinionated, but can very helpful indeed. I do not agree with many things he comments on, but he does help and does add.

Back on topic, the Delta alliance can only help, and I really hope VS prosper again. Things are moving in their favour, for example, more fuel efficient aircraft to fly, which will make a difference. They do need to be more consistent though and avoid scaring people off.