Reply To: Is it just me or is Virgin Atlantic service slipping?

Back to Forum

rferguson
Participant

BritFlier I only reported what was reported to me by a VS staff member.

In fairness, none of the points you raise about the DXB route makes it either viable of profitable. BA’s flights to DXB are constantly full – how many of them are using their Avios points to fly CW I can only imagine.

I can understand that for a large network airline some routes while loss making themselves offer a benefit to the overall network in terms of connections and what not. But VS doesn’t fall into this category, bar the couple routes that ‘Little Red’ flies.

Why would VS chose to fly to AUH over DXB?

1. Because of it’s proximity to DXB
2. Because instead of trying to compete with a single Airbus flight a day versus 5 x EK A380’s a day and 2 x BA flights per day they will be able to operate in co-operation with EY.
3. Their sister airline flies into AUH from Australia after recently entering an agreement with EY.
4. VS not being part of an alliance needs to enter strategic partnerships instead. A partnership with EY would give it access to a huge amount of far east destinations.
5. Why would KLM decide to increase capacity to AUH and reduce DXB? Why would Air Berlin chose to fly to AUH over DXB? Because the strategic partnership with EY is more beneficial to them than selling holidays to Benidorm in the East.

None of this may come to fruition and indeed it may just be a baseless rumor. But the benefits to fly to AUH are definitely there.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls