Reply To: Is it just me or is Virgin Atlantic service slipping?

Back to Forum

Guest_Poster
Participant

VintageKrug – 30/05/2013 21:41 GMT

As a former pilot, now working in management, let me say that your postings I have seen on this subject over the last 24 hours are misguided and read like a 13 year old pretending to be an adult.

For your edification, the A340-300 is a a balanced quad and meets performance A category requirements for public transport aircraft. These requirements mean that a twin in the same category will have sparkling all engine performance in comparison to a quad. But what is completely asinine about your post is the assertion that an A340-300 struggles to reach cruising altitude compared to other aircraft. A 747-400 (recognised as a powerful quad) is often only able to achieve final cruise altitude only through a series of step climbs as the fuel load burns off and the flight envelope expands. It may take several hours to achieve the final cruise altitude.

Addtionally, the take off performance of most CAT flights is de-rated to extend engine life and make use of the runway available. I suppose a know-it-all like you thinks that pilots use the maximum thrust available to win a prize for the shortest take off of the year. So unless you know what assumed air temperature is entered into the A340-300 FMS, judging the power of the aircraft by the take off roll is misleading, as it is highly probable that is is under maximum on a dry runway.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls