Reply To: Is it just me or is Virgin Atlantic service slipping?Create Topic

Home Forums Airlines Virgin Atlantic Is it just me or is Virgin Atlantic service slipping? Reply To: Is it just me or is Virgin Atlantic service slipping?

rferguson
Participant

Oh LeTigre don’t forget the BA 767’s that really are an embarrassment and make the old 747’s look luxurious!

In fairness, what I have thought for a long time about Virgin is that it has become a victim of it’s own hype. I started my aviation career with Virgin as crew. at that time (late mid 90’s) it really DID deliver what it said on the box. It was a totally new concept, it was naughty, it was cheeky, it was glamorous and the staff WERE beautiful (modesty is a virtue lol). Only kidding. And I think today they still try to promote the same image – that of total innovation and glamour and cutting edge design and technology. Which to a great degree isn’t really what you will experience.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Virgin in a lot of aspects kick BA in the butt. But I think where the difference is, is that passengers kind of get with BA what it promotes in it’s own advertising. Dependable, British, understated. Yes, sometimes that can mean delayed, cold and snobbish! But there is almost like there is that slight expectation that that will be the case anyway with BA. Give them an ontime flight with friendly crew and decent grub and they are all ‘Ohhh BA is great, much better than I was expecting’.

Whereas I think when people chose to fly Virgin for the first time their expectations are massive. They have flown BA and the likes and are tired of them and want that Virgin ‘flair’ that VS promotes. They want that totally ‘different, fun’ experience from glamorous and sexy staff, served on new aircraft with top of the range products. But the reality is they are likely to get on an aircraft which is much like pretty much any other airlines with staff that are feeling quite demotivated at the moment (im told by my VS friends that morale is very low) serving a product that has ‘cost cutting’ written all over it (like many airlines out there).