Reply To: Swiss A320-214Create Topic

Home Forums Airlines Swiss Swiss A320-214 Reply To: Swiss A320-214

Ciprian Hirlea
Keymaster

I arrived at Heathrow Terminal 2 for a 2:25pm Swiss flight to Geneva. The check-in area was near deserted and I walked straight up the business class check-in counter. The agent was very polite and helpful and printed the boarding pass for my return as well as outward journey, reminded me of my eligibility to use the priority security lane and provided directions to the Lufthansa lounge.

I made a quick (20 minute or so) visit to the Lufthansa lounge. It was very clean and bright, although (in my humble opinion) a little clinical and lacking in occasion. That said, I thought the selection of food and drink was impressive. I had a plate of salad and yellow chicken curry along with a glass of Do&Co branded sparking wine. I decided to make a brief visit to T2B, which I had never visited before. After reading some of the reviews, I decided to use the United Club Lounge. Overall, I thought it was great. I was told on arrival to the lounge that my flight was almost certainly going to depart from terminal 2A and I should give myself plenty of time to get back. I found a location at the huge bar and had a succession of great drinks: champagne, a cocktail called a 'Delayed' (which seemed apt given various problems I had incurred getting to the airport) and a Kir Royale. There was a good selection of decent quality food and I tried small portions of the lasagne, grilled chicken, fruit salad and had a couple of the cookies. I then made my way back to Terminal 2A for some shopping and then boarding.

Boarding began at just after 2pm from Gate A25. There was a clear channel in place for business and status passengers. I was initially one of the first people in the line but accidentally left some of my shopping at the seats near the gate. I was about the 10th person on the aircraft. I was in seat 2F and had three seats to myself, which was great. The business class cabin was configured to have four rows: the whole of row four was empty and both rows 2 and 3 only has 2 passengers. What I really liked about the boarding process was that prior to departure small bottles of water, wipes and a selection of newspapers were offered. The doors were closed at about 14:20 and take-off was just after 14:35. From the inflight map the distance from London to Geneva was 469 miles and the flight time was 1 hour and 15 minutes. I did laugh when there was an announcement 5 minutes later by the captain to say 'cabin crew you are released'. Despite being a rainy and dark day in London it was beautiful and sunny when above the clouds.

The meal service began a few minutes after take-off and I was served at about 2:55pm. Drinks orders were taken and I had a glass of champagne. Meal trays were distributed which comprised a tray of a 'cold plate' (pate, figs, slice of orange, beetroot) and a small dessert in a glass ramekin – I was not 100 per cent certain what was it was – partially because no menu was provided. The captain made an announcement at 15:15 to say that we were already past Paris and had about 30/35 minutes before landing. I had to remind the cabin crew that I had ordered a glass of wine but they were very apologetic and brought it straight away. I then asked for a cappuccino but was told the machine was broken and that only instant coffee was available, which was actually really good when it arrived – served on a small tray, in its own small metal pot with another metal pot for some milk along with a Swiss chocolate! Perfect!

The flight landed at 15:40 exactly. It was slightly disturbing how most people had ignored cabin crew instructions and stood up well before the seat belt lights had come off and within 2 minutes or so of landing. I'm not a huge fan of Geneva Airport but there was no queue at passport control and my bag arrived in about 7 minutes with the priority label intact.

Overall, I really enjoyed this experience and thought it was so much better than equivalent flights I had recently taken with British Airways to Germany and Switzerland. The crew worked hard to deliver a good service on a flight that was (in the end) slightly less than an hour. If I'm not chasing One World tier points, I will definitely try and fly Swiss in the future.

Review courtesy of Seatplans.com. Original review by user Aspirational Flyer can be found here