Reply To: Qatar Airways fails wheelchair-reliant passengers

Back to Forum

Shivers
Participant

I felt quite irritated reading Airpocket’s account of how the wheelchair request for his Mother worked in Qatar. It’s totally unreasonable for a ground operator to deem that a passenger doesn’t need a wheelchair just because she walked from a bus to the terminal. What kind of banana republic decision making is that?

As someone who has a mother who has difficulty walking, I feel very strongly that airlines should test their wheelchair processes to ensure they work from start to finish rather than assuming that just because there is a wheelchair request on a booking, that a wheelchair will magically appear from the terminal to ferry passengers to and from a plane.

In terms of wheelchair services, the best one I experienced was when a wheelchair was requested between Vancouver and Las Vegas with US Airways. For a budget carrier like US Airways to get it right was exceptional and it shows that it doesn’t take much to get this right.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls