Reply To: Gulf Air A320-200 Economy

Back to Forum

TominScotland
Participant

Just to make brief reference to my return flight from Muscat to Bahrain on GF565. I was dropped early at Muscat International and was able to check in at leisure before making my way airside. The airport is bright and airy, with a good range of retail opportunities, far better than Bahrain.

The Gate was downstairs, one of the bus gates, and there was some confusion as to which exact gate would be used as the one showing on the board was handling another flight with a departure time similar to our own. Once this was resolved, we assembled in the gate area and, somewhat behind schedule, were bussed to the aircraft, Economy passengers first. While we made our way up the rear steps, another bus was discharging just the one passenger who made his way up the front steps. Business class folk arrived a few minutes later.

The aircraft was one of Gulf’s Extended Range A320s, normally on European routes. This meant that Business Class travelled in super luxury for the 80 minute hop with long-haul comfort while back in Economy we benefited from a 33-34″ pitch (compared to the normal 30-31″) and this was certainly noticeable.

Departure seemed unrushed, even a bit tardy but with no explanation. Once we pushed back, we taxied to the runway at which point the pilot came on urgently to tell cabin crew (who were checking things in the asiles) to “please sit down immediately as we are now on the runway”). After a scramble, all was fine and we took off.

Service was similar to the way out – a filled roll and drinks but few free smiles except from an efficient English lass.

We landed a few minutes late, again at a very remote gate and were bussed in to the terminal. Disturbingly, I noticed three pices of stray luggage on the road to the terminal and, despite a considerable volume of traffic passing them by, nobody seemed interested in retrieving them. Once I had cleared formalities, there was slight wait for my own luggage, which did appear and I was then out to my waiting hotel car.

A fine short-haul service with the added comfort of the couple of extra inches.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls