Reply To: Cathay Business – disappointed

Back to Forum

ExecPlatAA
Participant

CX 879 SFO-HKG on 1/19/2014 in Business.

This was a very poor business class service to HKG. The SFO lounge is a disgrace – no First section, a $12 bottle of champagne served and even that was not chilled and hence not available as they had received the shipment only in the morning. Well!.

Seat 22A is in the 2nd small section of the business class cabin (3 class – no First on this service) and it is not at all private or inviting (and the crew made no attempts to make anyone feel welcome) – main boarding is from this cabin so very rushed and feels like an extension of premium economy rather than a premium cabin (on a 5 star airline). No introduction or goodbye from the cabin service director (even on AA they do that), no welcome drink offered, no news papers or magazines (sorry, none loaded sir!).

Constant loud noise from the galley and the 2 main closets being opened and closed in this business section. Meal service very very mediocre. Wines on the “Chilean Promotion” not loaded – no other alternative. 2 Wines to choose from and the champagne was served across the entire cabin from one bottle (had to wait for it to be transferred back and forth – and it was not chilled).

Lights dimmed after 3 hrs only to be jarringly switched on full throttle 6 hrs into the flight while one is sleeping, for dinner service. We had 8 more hrs to go – why does pre- arrival dinner need to be served when all we are trying to do is sleep?? Average food and not appetizing in presentation. Crew did dim the lights as I wanted to sleep but in general were not bothered – one of the lav doors was always wide open and let out bright lights in the cabin and I stood up to close the door 4 times, and the crew did nothing.

No coffee, water etc offered prior to arrival, as galley was closed (1.5 hrs out of hk?). Sorry, this is not a five star airline service. Qatar is 5 star and if so, this is at best 3-4 stars.

Even the new business class seat layout seems cramped – even AA have better spacing (on the exact same seats on their 777-ER) and that is saying something.

I’m sorry, Cathay you missed the mark completely – both hard and soft product on this service. Yes, they have good HK lounges – but on board, this product miserably failed to deliver. Maybe my expectations are that of Qatar business and this CX business is way, way sub par.

Magazine Subscription
BTUK September 2017
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls