Reply To: BA First A380 to Miami

Back to Forum

PegasusAir
Participant

I have just done 2 trips in F to MIA – one on a 747 from T5 pre change and one on A380 from T3. My transfer from T5 to T3 was shambolic and I complained to the BA Lounge staff and the CSD – the latter had received other complaints about this issue. Long queue for buses and no Airport or BA staff in attendance. Took me 4 buses before I got on one. It is not as though BA don’t know how many transfer passengers they will have particularly with all the flights they have transferred. I accept the bus operation is an Airport one but to have no staff and a escalator dropping into a queuing area was very dangerous. Not rocket science!
Access into T3 now better than before, longer walk, bigger security area but the walk leads directly to the corridor on which the Lounges are located so cutting out the shops.
I agree the lounge is poor. There is a dining area that is in effect unstaffed – certainly at 1200. When I asked about a light meal a staff member in the general lounge suggested going to the buffet in the main lounge and taking it to the Dining area! At least there is a view from this area. Next time I will try the CX lounge as AA can be busy at this time (12-1300).
The seat is OK and as I had been on a 380 in F before it was as expected. Slightly lass claustrophobic than Rows 3 & 4 on the 747 but reasonable room around the seat. Nothing special though, just adequate.
I had pre-ordered my meal so that was OK. If one doesn’t pre-order I assume you just get the menu choice subject to availability.
Overall it is better than the CW 2-3-2 (Upper 380) but does not justify the price differential over CW particularly if you can go UD on the 747.
Returned AA Business on a 77W and frankly that is so much better than BA CW and apart from the ‘mattress’ is almost the same as BA F. Even small things such a warm nuts in a dish with an offer of a refill (declined!) compared to that little bag on BA is indicative of how BA is cutting costs presumably until they actually see the revenue loss – it’s happening but maybe they don’t see it, or choose not to. It is always easier to calculate a cost saving than a revenue loss.
Incidentally, as I have to connect anyway to most points east I now use EK and QR so they have lost all my easterly travel now.
The BA CW product is completely uncompetitive now and their F even on the 380 is very average. My advice is to book AA Business on the 77W. AA F is virtually the same except for a swivelling seat.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls