Reply To: BA long-haul – where to next & with what? Winter 2015/16+Create Topic

Home Forums Airlines British Airways BA long-haul – where to next & with what? Winter 2015/16+ Reply To: BA long-haul – where to next & with what? Winter 2015/16+

AnthonyDunn
Participant

@fctraveller – 06/11/2015 18:51 GMT

Except that if IAG’s Capital Markets Day 2015 is to be believed, the gap between the Atlantic Joint Business (AA/BA/IB/AY) and *Alliance has reduced from 12.7% to 2.8% since 2011 (see p. 84). Now, a lot of that could have been down to AJB members other than BA but which European economy has been the most buoyant over the past few years, which airline operates the most TATL services and where do those premium pax most probably originate?

Beyond that, what I found utterly dispiriting upon reading the presentation from cover-to-cover is that (okay, so the clue is in the title…!) the entire focus was on cost savings and synergies. Beyond the possibility of onboard wifi across c.90% of the IAG fleet by 2019, (err, yes and so what…?) there was just about no mention of any benefits and improvements the fare-paying passenger might expect over the 2016-2020 planning period. Period. New aircraft with seat “densification”…? An exercise in assaulting the language first and restricting passenger blood circulation next.

Just about the only mention that the dear old fare-paying passenger received was in the context of how RASK could be shifted up a few notches with CASK held firmly down. Sure, so this was pitched at City Analysts but even they must be aware that you can have the most optimal accounting systems, the most cost-effective procurement processes, the leanest operating procedures and pay only “at market” wage rates. But without passengers (or their revenues), because they’ve been almost totally ignored, none of these amounts to a can of beans.

It’s not just their capital assets and staff that IAG’s bean counters are out to sweat, it’s you and me.

EDITED to add:

I sincerely hope that things never get this bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNYKuIN4MxE