Reply To: British Airways B747-400 High J

Back to Forum

Ciprian Hirlea
Keymaster

Flew LHR-SFO on Xmas day.

Used Galleries South lounge, on arrival we caught the tail end of breakfast so decided to wait for lunch. The usual fare of chilli, curry, etc were available. As I was flying Club I decided only to have a few mouthfuls of food. The wife and I tried for a treatment at the Elmis Spa, they suggested as we were departing from the B gates would we mind using the facilities closer to our gate, we agreed, but took a shower at the main lounge, as apparently the showers at the other facility. After my wife returned from her shower the lounge receptionist mentioned we had a gate change to the C gates, so we just decided to forego the spa.

We were located on the upper decks seats 64A and B. The wife had the window seat and thought it was great not having to step over a passenger. The lady sitting at 63A was tall and never disturbed me when stepping over my flat bed. As it was Xmas day, lunch included Turkey, however we opted for steak and the veggie option. My steak was small and a bit tough, not the best meal I have had on BA Club (my best ever was a salmon on pasta on Club Europe LGW-MLA). I had at least 3 glasses of champagne and a port before settling down for a few hours sleep. I have heard on various forums the Club Kitchen is getting a bit stingy, however it was well stocked on this flight including fruit salad, sandwiches, chocolate, champagne, etc (the return flight on the 31 Dec, my wife reported – I was asleep most the flight – was also well stocked including some left over lobster starters).

We were served afternoon tea an hour before landing, the sandwiches tasted better than they looked and the warm scones very good. My wife took a small salad instead of the finger sandwiches, but felt the quantity of food for the second meal, rather mean for a 10 hour flight.

The two FAs allocated to the upper deck were superb and nothing was any trouble for them.

The IFE is showing its age, I flew AA on their 777-300ER, business class a few weeks ago and it is so much better than BA: wider choice of films and TV, bigger and crisper screen and superior noise cancelling headsets.

We arrived only slightly late and the crew kept back the non-premium passengers allowing us a rapid exit – I was so glad for this, as passport control only had four guards on duty (Xmas day I assume) and a queue built up very quickly as another flight arrived. Our bags came off early, so the priority labels worked.

Overall: food and IFE could be better, but an enjoyable flight,

Review courtesy of Seatplans.com. Original review by user 62753 can be found here

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls