Reply To: Interlining bags from BA to non-oneworld airline

Back to Forum

TominScotland
Participant

Hi all

Methinks that some of you are being a tad hasty is heaping blame on BA here without evidence, especially as what we are talking about is the interface between two handling agents (see above) and not the mainline airlines. I am not clear what difference the fact that CX only have one flight a day from AMS would make, Ian – after all, Menzies handle a plethora of airlines and are not going to be at exclusive beck and call to meet CX needs. My point is that the fault could lie with either (or, indeed both) handling agents so to translate this into another ‘BA don’t care” narrative is perhaps OTT???

In my experience, transfering baggage at Schipol is by no means risk free – I used to frequently transfer from KLM to Estonian Airlines there on an all-KLM codehare througn ticket and my baggage failed to follow me on at least three occasions, even though connection times were fine.

And to get back to topic about “Interlining baggage on two separate tickets” (which would be a fairer title for the post, by the way), the reality is that airlines are under no obligation to do so, as has been well established here. Most of us (cheekily) would try it on and see whether the local handling agents will play ball (Ian, in your case on your outbound at HKIA, this would have been HK Airport Services and not Thai). That then becomes part of the problem because this then creates expectations and when other airlines/ handling agents (correctly) do not play ball in this way, we get a hugely frustrated passenger. Many service providers prattle on about exceeding customer expectations – that is fine provided you are able to deliver consistently on the consequences which are that these exceeded expectations become the new bar for regular expectations. Deliver what it says on the tin and you don’t take the risk of an Angry Ian venting his spleen online when you follow well established rules and then gathering indignant soulmates to his cause.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls