Reply To: Interlining bags from BA to non-oneworld airline

Back to Forum

IanFromHKG
Participant

Stevescoots, I wonder if your colleague’s experience was before CX switched to Amadeus a while back? There might have been compatibility issues before, but there can’t be now…

In any case, I do recognise I wasn’t *entitled* to through-check-in. However, I do (rightly or not) feel very disappointed that while I was able to through-check from TG to BA on my way to London despite TG only operating the short-haul leg and with me having no status with TG or Star Alliance, I was not able to through-check from BA to TG in the opposite direction despite being top-tier with oneworld.

Fortunately I have a lengthy layover on BKK so the whole immigration/baggage-reclaim/customs/transfer-to-departures/check-in/security/immigration thing worked out fine this way round. I would have been in dire trouble on the outbound sector.

Heigh-ho. I know I did set myself up for a fall, but after many years of travelling and many through-checked bags on many airline combinations, this is genuinely the first time I have had a problem. We live and learn – and the lesson is, don’t trust BA to through-check bags, or to put it another way, don’t buy BA tickets where this might be an issue. A short-termist cost-saving measure which may cost BA more in the long run, I suspect – I rather think that the profit they can earn on a long-haul business class ticket would more than offset the insurance premium for losing a bag en-route, but that is BA’s choice. While my choice will be not to do this routing combination on BA again…

After all the brickbats, though – a bouquet. If you are reading this, many thanks to you my cabin crew on the LHR-BKK flight, who were attentive and proactive throughout. You’re a credit to the airline

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls