Reply To: British Airways B747-400 High J Club World

Back to Forum

TominScotland
Participant

I had checked in for this flight using my IPhone app. I was booked in World Traveller+ but, on going to check in, received a nice message telling me that, due to my loyalty etc etc, I was being upgraded to Club World with downstairs seating in 13B. I have just requalified for Gold Status (without any tickets purchased above WT+) and wondered whether this might have triggered the upgrade?

On arriving in T5 from Glasgow, I headed into the main concourse and, as the gate was not showing, checked with BA Customer Service whether it would be a B or C gate. B it was so I headed over to the Lounge there, which was very quiet, with an excellent choice of hot and cold food offerings (this was around 18.00).

The flight soon posted a 30 minute delay (19.45 rather than 19.15) but boarding started in good time. The Premium boarding line had virtually no queue by the time I arrived so I was soo aboard, greeted by name and directed to my seat. I settled myself in – the seat is comfortable but there is a general lack of convenient storage and places to leave things that you might need during the night, necessitating a fair amount of up and downing…

The Captain came on to explain the delay – trouble with a cargo hold door which had been resolved. He still predicted arrival into Singapore within about 10 or 15 minutes of schedule. We pushed back and were airborne after a short taxi.

Drinks service commenced immediately – as I am not a drinker when travelling, I cannot comment on wines etc – and was followed by orders for dinner. I was called by name throughout. The menu look good and the food did not disappoint.

Starters were Crayfish and avocado timbale with pesto dressing or Fivemiletown goat’s cheese (in honour of the G8 although wrong county???) on a salad. I chose the latter which was fresh, piquanted and tasty. There was also a side salad of greens.

Mains were seared beef Shetland salmon, Tagiatele or maincourse salad with roasted chicken. I had the salad which came with really large and succulent chicken breast.

Deserts looked good although i did not partake – white chocolate mouse, cheese and biscuits, vanilla and green tea ice cream and fruit, together with tea and coffee.

IFE choices are OK but a disappointment after the likes of Emirates. I was watching a movie during dinner – the Paul Raymond film – which was a bit of a struggle on the small screen and very dark settings for many of the scenes – hardly surprising given that they were night clubs!! Film is thoroughly recommended, especially if you remember the 1970s (or before!!)

I slept reasonably well but am not a great fan of lie-flat beds so always choose a half way house between sitting and lying. My aisle seat was fine and there was no traffic to disturb me during the night.

I finally woke about 3 hours out of Singapore, had a juice and coffee and settled down to read until breakfast. Choice here was fresh fruit or granola (I had the former) followed by Full English or Spanish omelette – I had the latter and it was rather watery and tasteless.

We landed just 10 minutes late and, after a short taxi, deplanned quickly via the front door. Queues for Immigration were very long for Changi (a first for me) so it was close to 30 minutes before I was able to collect my luggage, already out and circulating. I did have a connecting flight with MH but, for a reason never made clear to me, I could not throughticket. Still, it was an easy job to head over to T2 and re-check-in.

It was great to be upgraded but there is little doubt that the CW product is getting tired and is in need of a revamp. Given the good experience I have had with WT+ recently, I am not sure I would opt to pay for the difference were in my own hard earned £££. That said, service was attentive and pleasent throughout th flight.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls