Reply To: British Airways B747-400 Mid J Club World

Back to Forum

trusman
Participant

BA085 London – Vancouver in Club World.

I arrived at the airport very late, proceeded straight to check in which was conducted by a very friendly agent and was heading through south security in no time. I was amazed to find security was empty and from car to airside only took me 10mins!

As I was very late to the airport by the time I had got airside the gate was already showing on the screens so I headed down to B Gates on the transit. By the time I reached the gate there was already a heft queue at the gate for both fast track and general boarding lines, so I headed off to grab a quick coffee from the lounge before coming back.

When I got back to the gate it was absolute chaos, I think the whole flight was queuing! I headed to the back of the fast track line only to be very annoyed to see a family of 7, yes 7 whack all there passports and boarding passes down together at the front of the fast track queue. Peering through the masses I saw they had seat numbers down in the 40 somethings. There was absolutely no control on the fast track queue. Ok they could be silvers or golds but I very much doubt this. This is something BA really need to start enforcing, I pay business class for the perks not just for the seat and at 3 grand a ticket its annoying when these are missed.

Was welcomed back by name by the CSD and went to my seat 17F. Jacket promptly hung and pre-takeoff bubbles washed down the sour taste from the gate farse.

Take off smooth and settled in to watch a film. Crew seemed very slow off the mark, landing cards, wash-bags etc took far too long and it was around 45mins since airborne that the bar on wheels reached row 17.

Dinner order was taken, I went for the salmon to start followed by the fillet of beef in pepper corn sauce with potato wedges. Don’t usually go for beef on flights as find it to be dry and tough but as it was now close to 7pm and I hadn’t eaten all day I really fancied some stodge and meat. I do have to say however the beef was probably one of the best airline beefs I’ve ever had! Was not overcooked (for once) and very filling, all washed down with a few glasses of a very nice Californian pinot noir.

After dinner I went fully flat and managed to get around 2hrs kip, however I abruptly woke up in (im sorry for the graphic nature of this…) a pool of my own sweat, the cabin was stiflingly hot, the lady next to me was fanning herself with her menu, I asked her how long it had been like this and she said about 1.5hrs and shed asked the crew twise to turn the temperature down.

I dont understand what crews obsession is with making the cabin unbarably hot inbetween the meals… dont get me wrong everyone likes to be cosy when they sleep but its far too often too hot on aircraft. I had a word with the CSD in the galley and the temperature did drop a little after this but still too warm and I couldn’t get back to sleep.

Afternoon tea… what a joke, wont dwell on this as we all know it is, all I got was a tray with 3 tiny sandwiches on, no cutlery, no scone, no jam, no clotted creme.

Landing was on time and disembarkation, immigration and bag retrieval was all very quick.

Overall, I do love BA and club world but there are consistency issues, fast track boarding, afternoon tea, sometimes with a scone sometimes without. The crew on this flight were very friendly whilst serving me but still got the impression it was bare minimum and off to the bunks please. That said the main meal was probably one of the best I’ve had at BA.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls