Reply To: More BA T5 lounge experiences (formerly disasters)*

Back to Forum

AnthonyDunn
Participant

And Snr Management and I were in Galleries South very first thing on Saturday en route to IST for some peace and quiet. Okay, not a working day so things were probably a tad more relaxed but there was a constant flow in and out.

The place was reasonably clear and tidy, the hot breakfast items entirely palatable and I quite liked my bacon buttie. Cereals – okay, so they don’t have the “Madness Mansions” brand of home-made granola – pastries, fresh fruit salads etc all entirely edible and well stocked. But I don’t expect to eat as if it’s the Ivy, or my local Indian take-away for that matter.

After the furore over the Walkers biscuits, I just had to check out for myself the state of play. Frankly, in comparison with the tired old Walkers shortcakes (still available on First Great Western for the hard-core devotee), the apple crumble biscuits (for starters) were simply scrumalicious. Having first examined them for micro-bacterial contamination and snot infestation (viz. previous posting on the subject…!) they appeared safe to consume and I felt safe in standing down the Chemical and Biological Defence Establisment at Porton Down. Snr Management had then to caution me that my consumption rate was inconsistent with medical advice regarding my hiatus hernia and the need to lose weight… 🙂

Oh, and I checked out the spirits on offer. Yes, there is still at least one pure, single malt: Glenlivet 15 years. And who on earth drinks Kahlua for pity’s sake? It’s presumably there on much the same basis as creme de menthe used to be: for bizarre colour combinations. Either that, or is Kahlua best drunk with a particular flavour of crisp? Beyond that, I don’t partake before the sun slips below the yard-arm so there was no chance at 06:30 of my being collared by Inspector Knacker for slipping a bottle into my luggage.

The minor gripes: Snr Management wants the mugs back – rather than the “pathetic” cups and saucers – so that she can have her morning bucket full of tea. I do think that the management need to get a better grip on managing the staff who did not appear entirely co-ordinated. And why cannot they have a counter to which plates, cups etc can be returned by those of us who prefer to clear up after ourselves?

All-in-all, as institutionalised nose-bags go, entirely reasonable and distinctly preferable to aimlessly wandering around the Westfield shopping centre below.

Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls