Reply To: More BA T5 lounge experiences (formerly disasters)*Create Topic

Home Forums Airlines British Airways More BA T5 lounge experiences (formerly disasters)* Reply To: More BA T5 lounge experiences (formerly disasters)*

IanFromHKG
Participant

This thread got me thinking about lounges for my flights this weekend (HKG-LHR via BKK, flying Thai between HKG and BKK and BA between BKK and LHR)

Well, now, the oneworld.com lounge finder shows a list of lounges and the associated airlines – but no mention of any lounge for MH. Click on the link to the map, and hey presto it shows an MH lounge. Bizarrely, the map also shows only one of the CX lounges (although both appear in the list of lounges). Some updating required, it appears!

Now, a couple of questions for our forum members:

Has anyone tried the MH lounge in BKK? How do you think it compares with the others (incidentally I tried to find information on the MH website but it only includes details of some lounges, and not the one in BKK)? Should I give it a try?

Secondly., can anyone try explaining the Star Alliance lounge access policy for top-tier members to me? The oneworld one is easy – you can access any oneworld lounge of the appropriate class if you have a premium ticket (so you could get into the CX F lounge in HKG on a BA F ticket, even without status), and if you are emerald (as I am) you can use any oneworld F lounge when on a oneworld flight. The *A policy seems quite different, and doesn’t appear to allow access to F lounges even for top-tier members. Instead, you are allowed to access lounges that have a Star Alliance Gold sign outside – whatever that is supposed to mean. Their lounge finder wasn’t much help – try inputting a flight from HKG-BKK on Thai (without mentioning status) and you get a choice of three lounges. Add in top-tier membership (I used TK Miles and Smiles Elite Plus) and you choice is – the same three lounges (even though there are two First class lounges operated by Star carriers in HKG). Do the same search in the opposite direction and a similar result – the same 5 lounges regardless of status. Which rather begs the question – what is the point of earning status if you are flying in business class anyway and it gives you nothing extra?

I should add I don’t have *A gold membership but hope to do so very soon through a status-match – but I am now wondering if there is any point